Free Healthy Nursery Meals
Starchy foods, such as potatoes, bread, rice, pasta and yam are the best sources of energy for young children, as they contain other important nutrients. Children do not need sugary foods such as sweets, biscuits, cakes or fizzy drinks for energy.
More helpful information and examples can be found in the Eat Better Start Better guide.
Southwark Council’s dessert policy and water-only schools policy further support the reduction of sugar.
Top tips for reducing sugar consumption:
- Fruit canned in juice rather than added sugar or syrup
- Yogurt or fromage frais that are low in sugar (e.g. Greek yogurt, plain natural yogurt)
- Dried fruit at meal times only as chewing it releases sugar which can stick to children’s teeth and cause tooth decay. Serving dried fruit with other foods helps to reduce the risks.
- A choice of milk or water during the day.
- Celebrating birthdays with fun activities or games or by encouraging parents to choose a book instead of bringing in sweet treats.